Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day Weekend

What a fun weekend! To kick it off, I got home from work Friday night and found in the mail my first letter from Jyotirmoy, my little sponsored boy from India. He's only four, so not quite able to write his own letter, but along with the letter written by one of the staff he sent me this. How can a Valentine's weekend that starts with a flower from a four-year-old half a world away not be good one? I am not sure what the rules are on posting pictures of the children, so I think I should hold off for now, but imagine a cute little Indian four year old boy who loves to play 'bat ball' and tell rhymes. I really am only using this blog as a way to capture memories, but if anyone is reading and looking for a good organization to get involved with, click here.

Friday night I got to spend time with the Texas branch of the Collins family who were in town for a wedding on the Piper side of the family. It was so much fun to visit with Nicole and Brandon, Jeff and Julia, and Aunt Karen and Uncle Tim. It was also great to meet some of the Pipers I've heard about for years! Definitely a fun group and made me again so thankful to be from a big family. We had a few glasses of wine at the Blue Mermaid in Fisherman's Wharf then headed to meet the Rehearsal Dinner party at Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee. One more think on the 'Must-Do: San Francisco' list that I can now check off. It seems I only get these things done when out-of-towners are around.

Me and Julia (hoping she becomes a cousin soon!)

Julia, Me, Aunt Karen at Buena Vista with our Irish Coffees

Saturday night Kathy and I ventured back to our Kathy-and-Beth roots - Berkeley! We went to see Mortified at the Starry Plough. It is a  show where people read excerpts from their junior high, high school, and college journals to the crowd. It was absolutely hilarious and mortifying. I don't think there is anything that could get me to revisit those years. The teenage philosophy and inner-reflection was by far the best part. So was the realization that I am the dork I have always thought I was and I am quite thankful for the apparently sheltered life I enjoyed. The best non-intentionally funny part of the evening was when one of the presenters read a comment about some girls at her high school and referred to them as probable lesbians - the crowd had been laughing for an hour and went silent. Lesbian jokes are not appreciated in the East Bay! I forgot to get a picture of Kathy and I, but it was a fun date night and nice to get out of the city for a few hours.

On Sunday Alyssa, Adam and I went to St. Anthony's for the day. Alyssa is who introduced me to the Dining Room back in early 2009, so it was great to finally go with her. It was very slow (not a bad thing!) so we got to catch up and it was great to spend time with Adam and get to know him better.

One of the best Valentine's weekends I can remember! ♥



1 comment: