Sunday, January 30, 2011

Living More Simply

Yesterday I took step one on my minimalism journey. Actually, we're changing the name of the journey to living more simply. I feel like minimalism has a set of rules to follow and is an actual movement. I'd just like to enjoy more free time and have less clutter, both physical and mental. So there it is - living more simply. Credit for that should go both to Mom with her "Live simply so others may simple live" mantra and the boyfriend who mentioned something about a more simple life when I was describing my closet clean out. 

Now the details. I tackled my two most used (and most overflowing) drawers this weekend: The t-shirt and the work out clothes drawers. 

I knew I owned way more t-shirts than I needed or can reasonably wear, but I had no idea I owned 56 tees. That doesn't include tops that I wear to work or out socially. Seriously, 56. Ridiculous. I now own 21 and my almost broken IKEA drawer might last the rest of the year until I move.


My work out clothing drawer has been a source of stress for a while. On the days I'm not organized enough to set out clothes in the evening, trying to find something for the gym or a run at 5:10 am is not the best way to start the day. This drawer was such a mess I forgot about a brand new triathlon suit I had purchased (for no good reason) last year sometime. Hello, ebay! 



Overall, I have a "keep rate" of 48%. I may be less of a consumerist pack rat, but I'll never not be a data nerd. :)

Keep: 48 (44 + 4 - I have four items of workout clothing that now live in Seattle)
Donate: 48
Sell: 1
Trash: 2 (I had two work out shirts that were too stained to donate and haven't been able to find info regarding recycling used clothing that isn't worth donating)

No comments:

Post a Comment