Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day Three

Or also referred to as the day in which the excitement is gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm still love it and plan to continue. But today included a very not so yummy dinner that helped reality set in. Amazingly, my first thought wasn't to go out and grab something. I sliced up half of an orange pepper to replace my veggie and had an extra (small) handful of nuts to replace my healthy fat. Moving on...

Overall thoughts now that it's been 72 hours. Not that 72 hours is an indication of anything. I feel much lighter overall. I've actually lost 4.5 pounds since Monday. That's crazy. I know the days of losing 3 and 1.5 pounds overnight will end soon, but it's fun. I LOVE not counting calories. I love that I don't obsessively think about food all day and when I can eat next. My meals are already planned out in advance and I work them in around my meeting schedule. I am annoyed with the headache I am getting every afternoon. I think I might be letting myself get too hungry after lunch, so maybe an afternoon snack. On the neutral front, I thought it was funny when I read that this food lifestyle will reset your clocks. I am dead by 8:30, but wide awake and ready to start the day at 5am. It seems like my body really wants to sleep when the sun goes down.

Breakfast: Black coffee (it's decaf, by the way), OJ (I'm going to be very sad when this jug is done), 1/2 of a yellow pepper, almonds, 2 hard boiled eggs.

I woke up at 5 to catch up on emails and made myself breakfast around 5:20. I knew I'd never make it 7 hours until lunch, so I had an apple around 9am.

Lunch: Salad with a chicken breast, 1/4 avocado, two stalks celery, mushrooms, 1/2 yellow pepper, and salsa as the dressing.

Snack: Tried to get rid of the headache. The only Paleo option in the vending machine was to pick the almonds and walnuts out of the trail mix. Yeah. Waste of money and time.
Dinner (or, the meal that made me fall out of Paleo fantasy land and into Paleo reality land): 1 can tuna with a tiny bit of dijon mixed in (my first known cheat) and a bunch of chard stir fried with almonds. Umm, I hate cooked spinach. It tastes like dirt. So why I thought I'd enjoy chard in a non-disguised fashion is beyond me. This came in my CSA box last night. One of the reasons I started back  up is that I want to be forced to eat a variety of veggies (when I shop for myself I'll eat broccoli and red bell peppers every night). However, I think I would have been better off to make this in some sort of broth soup.

On a more happy note, I got an Amazon package in the mail today with my first order of coconut oil. Due to lots of science-schmiense, olive oil is not the best oil for high temp cooking. Now that I have coconut oil, I can jump back into my happy stir fry land. Just no more brown rice. And no more soy sauce. It's pretty neat, it's a solid at room temp but melts at 72 degrees. When you throw it on a hot wok it melts immediately. However, it is not awesome enough to transform chard into a delicious veggie for dinner.


That wraps up my first three days on Paleo! The weekend should be interesting and so should cooking for and eating with another human. I haven't been tempted since I've been eating at home alone all week. But my favorite person lands tonight (how this cave woman is going to stay awake late enough to pick him up at 11:35 remains to be seen), which means I won't be flying solo. But I can do it!



2 comments:

  1. Easy good meal you canmake with the sausage you bought: Brown the sausage. Then add chopped orange or red pepper and continue cooking until sausage is done and peppers are tender.

    I use dijon mustard in my salad dressings.

    What does Robb say about salt??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall anything specific other than the usual advice of limiting it. His recipes definitely used sea salt from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete